“The Hunt For Nightfury” – Day 6
**Updated 4:37pm EST 10/28**
**If you have information to share please leave a comment or contact me at email@example.com **
We currently only know around 80% of the ingredients required to craft NightFury. Players are still searching for the missing ingredients, and have already figured out most of them very quickly. The missing ingredient may or may not be currently obtainable. This section will be updated with the complete recipe as soon as it is known.
**Update** Players are reporting seeing characters with NightFury in-game. If this is true, the recipe may have already been discovered but has not been shared yet.
**Update** Reddit user /u/chrish162 has chatted with an ANET developer who confirmed that NightFury has NOT been discovered by anyone. The developer also may have dropped a hint referring to the movie “How to Train Your Dragon”, because the character “Toothless” is a breed of “Nightfury” dragon.
**Update** Another developer has said that they DO NOT KNOW whether all of the items need to craft Nightfury are currently available in the game.
**Update** You will still be able to craft this item AFTER Halloween. So don’t worry about missing out during the 2 week Halloween event. It’s a normal mystic forge recipe and the Halloween components can be purchased from the Trading Post.
Current Top Theories:
- Gyve of Madness is the missing item
- Missing item is only craft-able through Scribe
- Missing item is Dragon related
- Missing item is still undiscovered in HoT
- Missing item is another recipe entirely
Items That Need To Be Tested:
The cheapest way to test items is by using a Glacial Lodestone and a Vial of Linseed Oil. Go to the Mystic Forge and see if the items are compatible.
**Update** Inconsistencies with the Mystic Forge have been reported. We are awaiting further evidence before making any conclusions. Restarting the client appears to resolve most issues.
|High||Gyve of Madness||Currently unobtainable**|
|Medium||Dragon/Wyvern Items||Check already tested list|
|Medium||Gift of Light||(Gift of Darkness)|
|Low||Gift of Maguuma||HoT Map Exploration|
|Low||Gift of Ice||Not tested to my knowledge|
|Low||Gift of Rodgort||Dragon Related|
**Update** Data-mining has revealed that “Gyve of Madness” is contained in a future Heart of Thorns update. (Possible Spoilers)
Working theory summarizing currently known information regarding Mystic Forge Combinations:
**Update** /u/Tyndel seems to have discovered an alternate recipe that includes “Vial of Green Goo”
Potential Combination #1:
|Item 1||Item 2||Item 3||Item 4|
|Bat Wing||100 Glacial Lodestones||Vial of Linseed Oil||(Endless Bat-wing Brew)
+XXX = ???
Potential Combination #2:
|Item 1||Item 2||Item 3||Item 4|
|Endless Bat-wing Brew||Gift of Darkness||Vision Crystal||(Bat Wing)
+XXX = ???
Potential Combination #3:
|Item 1||Item 2||Item 3||Item 4|
|Bat Wing||100 Glacial Lodestones||Vial of Linseed Oil||Vial of Green Goo|
Mystic Forge Combinations known TO work in combination with “Bat Wing”:
- Glacial Lodestone
- Vial of Linseed Oil**
**Update** Reddit user /u/wigglecandy has discovered that “Vial of Linseed Oil” is compatible. Leaving 1 missing ingredient left to find.
Recent Component Prices:
|Tattered Bat Wing||4||14 g||56 g|
|Vial of Powerful Blood||120||58 s||69.6 g|
|Mystic Coin||250||14 s||35 g|
|Bloodstone Brick*||20||15 s||3 g|
|Glacial Lodestone||100||92 s||92 g|
|Vial of Linseed Oil||10||4.7 g||47 g|
|Endless Bat-wing Brew||1||179 g||179 g|
|Vision Crystal*||1||2.25 g||2.25 g|
|Gift of Darkness*||1||135 g||135 g|
Heart of Thorns Theories
**Update** An ANET developer mentioned a secret garden under Jaka Itzel Village in Verdant Brink as being a good place to harvest Flax Seeds.
Reddit user /u/LlamaLinda went to the garden and found mobs of Vampire Beast Mawlers and Vampire Beast Crawlers. He reports that the Crawlers have a knockdown skill with the same sound and visual effects at Chiroptophobia, a Halloween greatsword skin.
The known component, Linseed Oil, is made from Flax Seeds which are found in this location, so this may be a step in the right direction. Although Flax Seeds are also found in many other places.
Players are now farming the mobs and reporting on the loot that is dropped. This could be what the developers meant when they said that players would “have to grind for it”.
**Update** It looks like the Vampire Beast theory is a dead-end. No viable loot has been reported.
**Update** /u/LlamaLinda reports a new type of Vampire Beast called “Bloodsucker” located near the boss area at Vinetooth Den.
Might be minor spoilers for some people that didn’t get to the second map yet!
Following the Toothless theory:
I just attempted to kill Legendary Vinetooth Prime twice.
It spawns after the third east pylon event in Auric Basin at Vinetooth Den
Its a really hard boss that requires great CC coordination. When he targets someone, that person will go down and die (giving another stack for its buff) unless you break the breakbar.
And now guess what, just west of that boss area there they were again! The vampires! And also a new type: Bloodsucker.
**Update** Reddit User /u/fairestof has found a “Veteran Bloodsucker” in the Tangled Depths.
“How To Train Your Dragon” Theory
**Update** Based on Reddit user /u/chrish162’s interaction with an ANET developer, it is believed that the missing item may have something to do with themes involving the character “Toothless” from the movie “How To Train Your Dragon”.
Here are pictures of the chat he posted:
Information we gain from this interaction:
- Nightfury has NOT been discovered yet
- Nightfury IS possible to discover (either currently or in the near future)
- It can be inferred that there is indeed ONE missing component/recipe
**Update*** ArenaNet has made a “How To Train Your Dragon” response in the “Nightfury Confirmation” thread in the official forums.
It’s hard to say at this point if the developers are actually dropping hints, or simply joking around with the players. If it is indeed a hint it could possibly point to Tequatl/Wyvern or other Dragon-themed items.
**Updated** /u/Starkumic received this image response on twitter, asking for another hint. Toothless with a pile of fish.
**Updated** @Shazbawt has tweeted this image captioned “Rytlock had a new buddy”
“Toothless” brainstorm from Reddit user /u/CometFireclaw to give us an idea of new items to try:
- Has a glider for a missing wing
- Shoots out plasma bolts
- Goes Alpha Dragon in the second movie
- Can retract its teeth
- Does not like eel
- Has big yellow eyes
- Is called night fury
- Has straps that keep its wing on
- Is friend with hiccup the Viking
- Is last of its kind
- Likes fish
**Update** How To Train Your Dragon “Gift of The Night Fury”. A short movie about Toothless that may hold clues regarding Nightfury.
“No Night Furies were seen laying their eggs. It could be possible they lay their eggs elsewhere, as according to the Dreamworks website, they lay their eggs at night on mountains so no one can find them.”
This would indicated possible use of the glider to reach the item we need.
**Update** /u/AutumnLantern has posted new images of an in-game conversation with a dev. The dev says he that he “doesn’t know” if all necessary items to craft Nightfury are in the game.
**Update** From /u/PropheticCrow:
Here’s why I think the next bit is in Tangled Depths, in The Great Tree / Ogre Camp area
- Ogre camp is surrounded on all ledges by Wyverns. In particular, after completing the event chains there, the corrupted wyverns at the top of the tree change to electric wyverns that look very much like Toothless. Also, the rock in the background up there looks the same texture as in one of the Toothless pictures from the devs. Also, there is a flax farm up here (and flax is another necessary ingredient).
- One of the events there is for Nocta The Tracker to find a pet. It happens in the area underneath where the wyverns are. A Champion Bat Matriarch is spawned, surrounded by other bats. There are also many vampire creatures nearby, and also spiders. All of these creature types can be associated with Halloween and the bat shoulders. In particular, the bats look like they have the same skin as the bats that fly around you when wearing the shoulders (comparing to ANet’s teaser picture of the shoulders).
- Nocta trains his pet – it’s a bat! (As in ‘How to train your
- When Nocta returns, he is surrounded by four bats circling around him! Is this a hint?
To get up to the top area, you can either run along the river from the ogre camp waypoint and use the updrafts to climb up, or else there is a jumping puzzle to get up from inside the cave as well.
*Updated Mega-List of Tested Items*
- All pre-HoT crafting materials have been tested, including Mystic crafting materials and Ascended materials.
- All Halloween items currently available have been tested (Weapons, Recipes, Candy Corn, EVERYTHING.)
- Most of the relevant Gem Store items have been tested.
- All pigments have been tested.
- All black dyes have been tested.
|Agony Infusions (+1)|
|Ambrite Crafting Mas|
|Anthology of Heroes|
|Ascended Shoulder Pieces/Boxes|
|Ash Legion Spy Kit|
|Ball of Dark Energy|
|Bat Wings/Glider (Gem Store)|
|Big Mama’s Tooth|
|Black Lion Chest|
|Bone Fragments of Tequatl|
|Box of Fun|
|Candy Corn Powered Machine|
|Candy Corn Vendor Items|
|Charged Quartz Crystal|
|Chest of Fish|
|Cube of Stabilized Dark Energy|
|Damask Shoulder Panel|
|Defender of Ascalon|
|Deno’s Fish Hook|
|Destabilized Ectoplasm (All)|
|Dyes (Most. Incl. Abyss)|
|Elonian Leather (Incl. Squares, Cord)|
|Essence of Halloween|
|Essence of Time|
|Fang of Tequatl|
|Fangs (Broken, Dull, Chipped)|
|Fish Food (Dragonfish Candy)|
|Ghostly Scrap Metal|
|Gift of Ascension|
|Gift of Battle|
|Gift of Blades|
|Gift of Exploration|
|Gift of Fortune|
|Gift of Gliding (not an item)|
|Gift of Lightning|
|Gift of Magic|
|Gift of Mastery|
|Gift of Metal|
|Gift of Moon|
|Gift of Nobleman|
|Gift of Souls|
|Gift of Stealth|
|Gift of Thorns|
|Gift of Wood|
|Gift of Zhaitan|
|Glob of elder spirit residue|
|Halloween Gifts (Souls,Spiders,etc.)|
|Heart of Darkness|
|Hylek Fish Poker|
|Hylek Fishing Rod|
|Icy Dragon Scale|
|Jar of Lightning/Twister|
|Legendary Weapons (1st Generation)|
|Ley Line Spark|
|Lucky Hylek Fishbones|
|Lump of Mythrium|
|Lunaria, Circle of Moon|
|Mad King’s Shoulders (All Mad King Armor)|
|Mad Memories (Green/Orange)|
|Mini Spooky Moa|
|Mistward Shoulder Lining|
|Mystic Binding Agent|
|Mystic Crafting Materials (All)|
|Mystic Forge Stones|
|Nightmare Court Mantle|
|Pile of Mystic Dust|
|Pirate’s Peg Leg|
|Pirate’s Peg Leg Screw|
|Plastic Fangs (Incl. High Quality)|
|Preserved Queen Bee|
|Quaggan Friendship Bracelet|
|Reaper of Souls|
|Resonating Chaos Orb|
|Runes (All relevant ones)|
|Shackles of Madness|
|Shards of Glory/Remnant of Battle|
|Shoulders (All Craft-able)|
|Sigils (All relevant ones)|
|Spider Silk Insulation|
|Spleedboop’s Friendship Shell|
|Superior Rune of The Sunless|
|Twisted watchwork shoulder|
|Vampire Bat Mini|
|Vial of Mist Essence|
**Update** Added items from Reddit user /u/PanicGiraffe‘s list.
- Endless Bottle of Bat-wing Brew can be successfully combined with a Vision Crystal and Gift of Darkness, which may lead to one of the components for NightFury. **Update** Most plausible theory currently.
- May involve Scribe crafting in new Guild Halls. **Update** Linseed Oil is a Scribe crafting material. Reddit User /u/FreakingBeasty has leveled up to 139 in Scribe and reports that it is extremely expensive (~600 g).
- Pumpkin Smasher and Tattered Wing are both 300 Scribe items.
- The Vial of Linseed Oil proves that new items added in Heart of Thorns are fair game.
- The “Gyve of Madness” is looking like one of the most likely items, but no one knows how to obtain that item either. **Update** Apparently it is not currently obtainable.
There is still the possibility that the missing item could be a rare drop from the Mad King Boss. The developers have alluded to a “rare and marvelous reward…”**Update** Rare reward probably refers to Tattered Bat Wings
- The Tattered Bat Wing description says “tingles with a feeling that reminds you of the mystic forge” and the Batwing description is “the wing feels almost alive and tingles with a feeling that reminds you of the mystic forge”. This could be referring to a “spark” or “lightning”.
- Developers have mentioned “gliding” in the same conversation as Nightfury, implying that the missing item may be related to the glider in HoT.
- Reddit user /u/cesa37 suggests that the item may be obtainable through karma and event vendors. Although this includes thousands of potential items, it does have some precedent (Reaper of Souls and Luminescent Armor)
- May be related to “Dragons Stand” in HoT.
- Matrices, energy, and stabilized energy still have unidentified recipes.
Other Sources of Information:
A Big Thanks To The All-Star Research Team at Reddit:
- And many more!