ArenaNet has released a 64 bit client for Guild Wars 2 that aims to fix several crashing issues and improve performance through more efficient use of system memory. This is welcomed news since many players have been requesting a 64 bit client for years. The 64 bit client is currently in beta and can be used alongside the existing client.
Quick Start Guide
- Download the 64 bit client here.
- Place the downloaded file in the same location as the old GW2 exe file (Program Files>Guild Wars 2). This will allow the new client to use the existing dat file so it doesn’t have to re-download the entire set of game files.
- Update any shortcuts to use the new 64 bit launcher.
- Launch the 64 bit client and wait for a brief update.
- Enjoy playing the game in 64 bit!
Why should I use the 64 bit client?
If you have more than 4gb of RAM, the old 32 bit client won’t be able to make use of it all. The 64 bit client allows Guild Wars 2 to use all available RAM, which may improve performance and fix performance related crashes.
How do I know if my computer is running 64 bit Windows?
Right-click on the Computer icon and select “properties”. Look under “System type:” to see whether your version of Windows is 32/64 bit.
What if my Windows version is 32 bit?
You cannot run the Guild Wars 2 64 bit client.
Compatibility With Addons
Several players have reported issues with 3rd party addons such as SweetFX, ReShade and GemFX. If you run into any compatibility issues you may need to update or install the 64 bit version of any addons you are using. Players have reported that compatibility issues were successfully resolved by making sure the addons were also running in 64 bit.
Word of Caution
The new 64 bit launcher is currently in beta and may introduce new instabilities to your game. Use with caution.